REAL-LIFE SUPERHEROES

[ Contents | Search | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]

Latest Interview

Category: Superhero Chat
Date: 02 Sep 2005
Time: 01:51:21 -0500

Comments

Captain Jackson, QoH, etc - good job folks! However I am reticent to agree with CJ's opinion that Angle Grinder Man is a criminal - assuming that he's protesting unfair or illegal wheel-booting, I agree with the guy. Our founding fathers here in the USA fought against similar stuff using guerilla (Spanish for "small war") tactics. Historically speaking, opposing "evil" enterprises has been a staple of heroes worldwide. In Orlando, FL there has been a legal referendum which targets towing companies who have been (sometimes) illegally towing vehicles and charging exhorbitant rates to reclaim a vehicle. From my own personal experience, I was once towed, and part of the bill was (according to the statement) a $75.00 "sheriff's department rotation fee" included in the statement - which the local Sheriff's department vehemently denied was in effect. Mind you, I wouldn't really mind that much if the $75 actually WENT to the local SD (sheriff's department), but it didn't. Another interesting fact is that in certain communities, information regarding crimes doesn't even make the news - regarding the community I live in, there have been several murders in the last few years - NONE of which have made even the local news (although they report heavily about Orlando) - and the fact that the local PDs (police deparments) haven't solved the crimes has been even more suppressed. We need investigative heroes as much as we need preventive and interventive ones. We *need* heroes. Doesn't even have to be SUPERheroes - I bet that New Orleans could use a BUNCH. But I bet they've got a few - heroes who don't even know it. The guy who de-fuses a bar fight before it starts and someone gets seriously injured; the lady who takes her friend's car keys and possibly prevents a fatal accident. These are heroes too, deserving of our love and respect. I love and respect the local police as well - although I've documented a number of situations where certain officers have actually violated laws and have been reported "driving dangerously" by local citizens - but for the most part, most of them are superheroes in their own right - and even with a Kevlar vest as the interview noted, someone can always shoot you in the head. I think that some of the best "unsung" superheroes work by de-fusing the situation *before* it happens. Sure, it's not as glamorous - one wouldn't need a costume or protective gear - a few well-thought-out words or a phone call would do it most of the time - but the end result is the same; Lives saved, crimes prevented, etc. In some ways I think that a good superhero would go mostly un-noticed. One hero that I know of did nothing more than report abuse (rape allowed by guards) in a local jail system - and her identity *wasn't* a secret when she did this - she stood to lose a lot if it "went down wrong". But as a result of her actions, the offending "bad guys" went down, and the jail went under investigation which eventually turned up more evil-doers "in the system" who were prosecuted and turned out. To me, she's as much a superhero as anyone. So for all of you "do-gooders" out there - give yourselves a pat on the back - you *do* make a difference. So what if you don't have a costume, cape, kevlar, or cool gadgets - in my book you're still heroes. Keep up the good work. -Trouvere

Last changed: 11/16/08